The Ray Charles Foundation is dedicated to providing support in the area of hearing disorders and the empowerment of young people through education by offering support to educational institutions and non-profit education programs. Ray Charles said: “The inability to hear is a handicap; not the inability to see.” The vision of The Ray Charles Foundation is to instill in the youth of America that “there is no challenge too great one cannot overcome.”
Areas of Interest:
- Hearing Disorders
- Academic services in the arts and sciences
- Programs and projects that offer significant community impact to achieve long-term results.
- Determined tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue (IRS)
- Must have filed the IRS Form 990 or its equivalent for the most recent calendar year
- Organization in operation a minimum of three years
The Ray Charles Foundation accepts application for grants annually during January and February. Awards are granted in June.
- Cover letter: brief description of the organization’s mission; population served; brief description of the project for which funding is being sought
- Grant Application Form PDF completed, signed and dated
- Attachments: brief history of the organization; proof of IRS 501(c)(3) status; most recent year IRS form 990; annual report, if available
- Mail completed Application Package to:
The Ray Charles Foundation
2107 W. Washington Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90018
For additional information,
The Foundation’s FAQs and checklist are provided below.
Grant Frequently Asked Questions:
We have several needs. Would you help us choose one or may we include all of them in our request?
Apply for the one need that is of the highest priority for your organization and that fits our areas of interest.
Does The Ray Charles Foundation have deadlines for submitting GRANT APPLICATION PACKAGES?
Grant applications are due between January 1 and February 28. Allow several months for review and notification of the Board’s decision. We do not accept requests for emergency funding.
May we substitute a full narrative proposal for The Ray Charles Foundation’s application form?
No, all applicants must use The Foundation’s Online Grant Application form to ensure continuity of the review process.
When are decisions regarding the approval or denial of applications made?
Qualified applications are presented to the Board and decisions are made by the Board of Directors once a year, in June.
My GRANT APPLICATION was declined. Can I apply again for funding?
Yes, you may apply again for the next grant year.
My application was declined. Shall I call the Grant Department to ask why the application was denied?
Any organization is welcome to call The Ray Charles Foundation regarding their grant application. However, The Foundation is unable to fund all qualified applicants. As a result, although an applicant may have a cause that provides a great service to the community and has also submitted a complete application, funding may still be denied based on availability of funds and priorities.